forestforthetrees

I don't run, I walk. I don't eat, I dine. I don't rest, I luxuriate. I don't eat worms ,but I do eat snails.For everything I don't do, I do twice as much.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Nothing is too profound to think about. Most things are too shallow to say. If people did more than what they say, more things would be accomplished- peace

Sunday, February 19, 2006

where Oh where has the sanity gone?

I was on the phone with a friend tonight, we were discussing the pandemics, and general disruption the world is in. It came to me some of the paradoxes that exist. For example, on the market there are all the cleaners with antibacterial/ kill all but .01% living things in your house. Then on the other hand, we have people going in for pig salmonella injections right into the face. Botox is the market name. Sure! Of course! That makes sense! Let's kill off everything around us so that we can inject it right into our bodies. That can’t possibly have any effects on us, especially if it makes us look good.

How can a society be so neurotic about something that people have lived with since the dawn of time…ohhh bacteria? Hello, we need bacteria in life. No! but that does nothing for our vanity nor for the multi-billion dollar pharmaceutical/ cosmetic industries. All the “bad bugs” line up over there (aka ones that don’t make money) and all the “good bugs” line up here (aka make lots of money for us. We don’t care if it kills people).


Lets not forget to talk about the disposable- everything we have now. Since we are talking about cleaning, lets look at the disposable cleaning products. Are we not supposed to be environmentally friendly nowadays? I guess that is also just when it is convenient. What happened to the old fashioned mop, or a broom? No, I guess that is just flushed down the toilet.

I think the root of it is that there is just too much money. People who have it, just don’t know what to do with it.(That isn’t me; however, I know where all my pennies end up.) Couldn’t they just build a nice building or something?

There was a time where people, who had a lot of money, at least threw it away on big parties and built ‘over the top’ chateaus. They maybe even commissioned a painter or two. At least 100’s of years later we have places to visit and museums to go to. What do we have in the 21st Century? We have faces with no expression and clean toilets with no scrub brush beside it. Ahh that is what I call advances!!

6 Comments:

Blogger Turtle Guy said...

What ever happened to good old fahioned soap and water? It's really rather odd what we human beings will rationalize as acceptable. I'm personally not into cosmetics, but Gowan wrote a really cool tune about it all!

I just read your comment at Reader's Corner - thanks! I haven't had a chance to get back in to the book, but soon!

5:09 PM  
Blogger Sarah Elaine said...

Your post reminds me of one of those e-mails that floats around... we have more food, but less nourishment, and so forth.

Good food for thought, your post.

10:21 PM  
Blogger zouzou said...

My personal crick in the neck is centered around swiffers. Talk about insanely wasteful - instead of a broom or vacuum, use a piece of non-reusable cloth to wipe up dust and throw it away each time. Can you imagine, someone thought: Oh, let's stick a paper towel on the end of a broom handle and charge people insane amounts of money for it - and they've made millions!!! Come to think of it, paper towels are in the same boat. Why can't people use dish cloths to wipe up spills?

9:10 AM  
Blogger Turtle Guy said...

S - A few years ago I was consulting a nutrionist about my diet and such - learned a whole lot about food and how we process it - both in and out of the body. It's interesting to know just how much of our food we "kick out" of our body because it just doesn't do us any good.

Z - Amen to dish cloths! I am, however, guilty of using paper to get the excess fat off those lovely strips of bacon...

I suppose we could discuss how much DETERGENT we use to CLEAN the dish cloths V.S. how much paper we send to the dump.

11:16 AM  
Blogger alexx said...

We do use a lot of paper..and its not like it grows on trees...trees were those things that usd to grow in the ground up till the 22nd century...so inconvenient for parking malls. Apprently some dog lovers grow them secretely at home. In the US Empire. the goal population has exeeded the coalition of the stupid, so its out of control. and some inmates grow them in their cells...free oxygen! What is the world coming to...
Well fortunately us replicants don't need the stuff.

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just leave it to you to point out society's foibles! ;)

A few of things:

- as far as I understand it, botox is a toxin that derives from bacteria, but is not actually bacteria itself - and it is useful in temporarily treating some types of neuromuscular disorders but I do agree about injecting poison into one's face - for absolutely no reason other than vanity - is silly

- bacteria IS necessary, but there are other types that ARE harmful, and believe you me, you would be absolutely shocked at the type of harmful bacteria on kitchen surface areas, or those that get transferred to our hands that you REALLY don't want to be ingesting!

- let me put it this way, you certainly WANT people to use these antibacterials in hospitals particularly in infection control which is why we have protocols - although I will concede there is some overuse in everyday households - it's rather like the whole use of antibiotics issue

- I will agree on the point of the idea of "disposable society" in that the most time efficient seems to win over but I think we're all guilty of that because otherwise we'd be taking alternatively powered transportation rather than fossil fueled vehicles

- May I point out though, that unless you're using vinegar to clean everything, there is still quite a lot of environmental impact in pouring modern day soaps (or more accurately named detergents) down the drain

**Devil's Advocate**
Puleeze don't disable the anonymous posting thingy!

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home