forestforthetrees

I don't run, I walk. I don't eat, I dine. I don't rest, I luxuriate. I don't eat worms ,but I do eat snails.For everything I don't do, I do twice as much.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Nothing is too profound to think about. Most things are too shallow to say. If people did more than what they say, more things would be accomplished- peace

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Today was the inaugural day of “The Illustrious Casual Book Club.” I think everyone enjoyed it. It was casual, and good conversation was had by all (I hope). There was of course some food, and for this cold and snow like day, a nice cup of tea.

We had a great backdrop for the book we were chatting about. The book was “The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe” by C.S. Lewis. What backdrop you may ask? I look out onto a lovely forest. Today for everyone’s pleasure the trees were white with snow icing and my resident momma deer was having lunch with us. We could have easily been walking through the wardrobe and stumbled on the lamppost. Perhaps we could be in Mr. Tumnus’s living room for our tea.

I have never had a problem with fantasy. I rather like reading it. I can easily be taken into another land or time where there is as much evil as there is in reality. Somehow it is easier to stomach when you know that good will win out. Not so, I guess, in real life. Fantasy novels allow the rejuvenation of faith, I guess. Especially, they help to keep the faith in human kind and in something good, that which is really lacking in most other parts of life.

Today is the perfect day to sit with friends and chat. Some people popped in for a short time and some stayed longer. It was all good. The next book club day is TBA and we will see what the topic will be. What a good excuse to get together.

2 Comments:

Blogger Turtle Guy said...

I remember this story - it was grade four when I saw the cartoon interpretation. My sister has a copy of the book and loved it. I wasn't into books at the time, really.

One of my favourites was The Secret World of Og - strangely enough, by Pierre Berton... I know, your comment at Reader's Corner: "I just seem to think he would be dry...really dry. Maybe it is the bow tie...not to say all people wearing bow ties..." but this was a children's book and rather entertaining as I recall.

7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I missed this - however I haven't been able to read C.S. Lewis since someone told me that the "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe" was his interpretation of what would have happened if "Jesus was in another world to save souls." The fiction of Narnia then becomes unbearably "Christian" for me....but that's just me! ;)

Did you have a good turn-out?

BTW, I think I may be jealous 'cause I really really miss snow.....

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home