forestforthetrees

I don't run, I walk. I don't eat, I dine. I don't rest, I luxuriate. I don't eat worms ,but I do eat snails.For everything I don't do, I do twice as much.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Nothing is too profound to think about. Most things are too shallow to say. If people did more than what they say, more things would be accomplished- peace

Sunday, February 26, 2006

I was reading through one of my usual e-newsletters yesterday and I had one of those, “ Ohh That’s why!!!!” moments. Over the past month I have been reading articles and information on disability and travel. I have been collecting data, so to speak. One article stated that Vancouver was the most accessible/ disable friendly city in Canada. I would have to agree just from the few times I have taken public transit there. Much better than in Calgary. Sorry for any bus drivers out there. Really, I appreciate you. I would not want your job for all the massages in the world. Calgary is not an easy city to get around at the best of times let alone with any type of disability.

Well, the Olympics in Turin are wrapping up and the mayor from Vancouver is traveling there to receive the flag to bring back to Vancouver.


In reading the article in this e-newsletter, it was brought to my attention that the mayor of Vancouver is a wheelchair user. I don’t really know any mayor from other cities so it isn’t really a surprise since I didn’t even know who he was. The epiphany was that this is why Vancouver is so accessible. I am sure it started before Mr. Sullivan, but it is quite obvious that his influence is to make it accessible- period. Not just disable friendly, but also there for everyone…lets say universal design …my favorite catch phrase. He sounds like that kind of person, since he also learned Italian and speaks Cantonese to communicate with others.


By the way, the girls kicked some excellent butt over there…Yeah Canada!!!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Elaine said...

So does this mean you'll be running for mayor of Calgary next time? You'd be good at it... Bronco Blue, we could call you... (ooh, and it even rhymes!)

6:18 PM  
Blogger wthenrest said...

I would have to work on my blue language skills first.That is code for bull :0)

11:13 PM  
Blogger Turtle Guy said...

I can think of a few blue words...

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

B said...

Yay, first time I can comment!

Just to add - Sam Sullivan also created the Disability Foundation in Vancouver, and there are a lot of people from Alberta who order tailor-made assistive devices from some of the affiliated organizations (certainly known to lots of people involved in the brain injury community). He's been around Vancouver promoting these programs, but he's only been mayor since 2005.

And you've gotta know by now that Chinese in Vancouver is more of a survival skill! ;)

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home