forestforthetrees

I don't run, I walk. I don't eat, I dine. I don't rest, I luxuriate. I don't eat worms ,but I do eat snails.For everything I don't do, I do twice as much.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Nothing is too profound to think about. Most things are too shallow to say. If people did more than what they say, more things would be accomplished- peace

Saturday, April 08, 2006

as the tide turns..not a soap opera

What a week! I was supposed to be on holidays..hahhahahahahha. Well, regardless of that I can’t say it was a bad week. Actually it was an action packed good week. I am just shock (well stunned might be more the word) at all the things that can happen in such a short time.
I found out last Thursday that I had lost one of my contracts so instantly panic ensued and I thought, “OH no!! I am going to be homeless, carless, and by far the worst, STARVE!!!”

Ok! Ok! So I was overreacting. You will be happy to know that depression followed very quickly, to take over from the panic. I simultaneously slept for several hours …or possibly days I can’t be sure.
I had promised one of my friends to go to the women’s expo on the weekend and had several social activities arranged so I couldn’t really show up in jammies, so I pulled myself together. The women’s business expo was pretty good and had some information. It got me thinking anyway.

In between there, I drudgingly started updating my resume, contacting references, and writing (oh horror) cover letters! I searched the Internet and contacted fellow colleagues to get the word out. By Tuesday, I had resolved to the situation and thought well, I just have to get things going and find something.

By Wednesday early afternoon, I got a call from an employer and received a contract offer until end of June. I was ecstatic. I didn’t even have to look for that one. When did it start? Oh Thursday! No problem! So much for the holiday week!
I also had a lovely reprieve on Wednesday night when another friend gave me a spare ticket to go see Guys and Dolls. I highly recommend it. I am not really a huge musical fan, but this was amazing. It was a great night.

I worked and met with fellow participants on Thursday and then started class on Friday. Nothing like trial by fire. To add to the hubbub, I had a lead for a job on the previous Sunday from a friend when we were having brunch, for which I was now creating that perfect cover letter. On the same Thursday I was teaching, another employer called and wanted an interview on the next day. I had to postpone that until the following week. And finally…I know I am taking a deep breath. This morning I had a meeting about a project that I may be involved with in the near future and it is very exciting.
So, as the tide turns… (could be a new soap opera) I went from underemployed to super-employed. What was I worrying about…hahahahahaha I’m FABULOUS!!

Wow this was a long winded one…. I am tired- I need a beer…

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

**throws you a Heinekan**

No doubts on the fabulousness that is you! Congrats on the work! :) And you were worried! (May have to be jealous that you saw Guys and Dolls....just a little...)

Incidentally, is "super-employed" synonomous with "over-employed" and "overachiever"?

May your luck with employment spill over to your very deserving friends! ;)

7:40 PM  
Blogger Turtle Guy said...

All that to discover you're fabulous? When you knew that already? Hmm... stress. Must be the stress.

Glad to hear the Women's Show was a hit - I took a booth out for the business one year thinking it might be a good thing. I should have been selling carrot juicers or exercise equipment - that year I'd have made a killing! Alas, I broke even with my endeavour. I suppose for a "failed" attempt, breaking even is the best of all worst scenarios.

Just when you think life has hit you hard, along comes much deserved good fortune. Be thankful, be wise, use all that's been dropped in your lap to your advantage! Greatfulness begets more good fortune.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Sarah Elaine said...

And you deserve a beer! Not for getting a new job, but just for being fabulous, vibrant you.

1:14 PM  
Blogger E.I. said...

I suppose you must be...

I too go to sleep after depressing shocks!There was this survey saying that women sleep, go shopping or eat chocolate (among other things) to make the stress or depression go away. Sleeping surely keeps your money and calories safe!

Optimistic post, I will keep in mind in equivalent occasion (shock, sleep, pull self together, find new jobs in a week, sounds nice!!)

6:01 AM  
Blogger zouzou said...

Hey, forest! long time no blog! (I know I know, same for me) how is your spring/ summer going? I think it's time for a girls night on my patio, whaddaya say?

4:33 PM  
Blogger imfunnytoo said...

That's so great...good luck with all these new things...

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home