forestforthetrees

I don't run, I walk. I don't eat, I dine. I don't rest, I luxuriate. I don't eat worms ,but I do eat snails.For everything I don't do, I do twice as much.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Nothing is too profound to think about. Most things are too shallow to say. If people did more than what they say, more things would be accomplished- peace

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Father’s Day



I usually don’t think of father’s day anymore. After my father passed away, it was almost a relief not to think of it. I guess because whatever we tried to do was not …anything. I celebrate it now with my surrogate family. It isn’t the same, but I have a lot of respect and love for the man that is as good a father to me as my own was. Possibly more.

Retrospectively, parents can only do what they can, and they do it as best they can. I don't think my father was never taught to be loving or probably even to be loved. Who knows? The more time he is away the more I realize that I knew him not at all. I will never know him. I also know that is not solely my fault. He did not want to be known. He needed to be secret.
It makes me realize also that I don’t want to fall into the same trap, and I have been doing the same thing for a long time.

There are a lot of reasons to stay hidden…

I always wanted to learn things from my father. He was intelligent, knew many languages, was artistic and drew very well, could build things, and when I was young thought he could do anything. As I grew older, somehow that changed. His persona was slipping away from those childhood eyes. Now I saw a bitter, angry and very sad man. He had shut the door. Shut the door on me. I would no longer learn anything from him. I kept on hoping. Hope is not eternal.

So, to my belated father in his solitude and peace…for I know he is in a place where the pain of his life …what ever that may have been, has subsided. I wish for his happiness. More happiness than I think he had in his time with us here. I hope he is proud of what I do and wishes for my happiness as well.
Happy Father’s day … I miss you

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Elaine said...

Beautiful post. Forgiveness is sometimes the best gift you can give - as much to yourself as to others.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Turtle Guy said...

It sounds as though you do indeed think of Father's Day, and for all the right reasons. Parents are people too, and we're all just trying to make our way, aren't we? A kind heart goes a long way.

Blessings,

D.

6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home