forestforthetrees

I don't run, I walk. I don't eat, I dine. I don't rest, I luxuriate. I don't eat worms ,but I do eat snails.For everything I don't do, I do twice as much.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Nothing is too profound to think about. Most things are too shallow to say. If people did more than what they say, more things would be accomplished- peace

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Fear or Respect?? tell me...


Can someone name all these dic-tators...?

Here is a good forum topic for the blogosphere. Is respect and fear integrated or mutually exclusive? Can there be a combination of both? Can you have them both?

This was a topic that a friend of mine and I got on to when we were talking about discipline in the classroom. My idea of respect is a more idealized version of treating others well. If you treat them as important and needed then they should do the same in return.

Well, teaching a bunch of 16 –18 year olds, THAT goes right out the window. I needed a new strategy. I talked to my friend (also a teacher), and said person, suggested a more dictator like approach. He said, “Fear will make them do what you want.” Well, something like that anyway. That is what I ‘heard’ OK.

At first I buckled. “I can’t possibly do that! It is against everything passive in my personality!”, I thought. What about mutual respect and teaching these kids a different perspective?

I kept thinking about this topic because he was convinced that he had both fear and respect from his students. As I wound myself up to walk into the chaos of this hormonal class, I was still thinking about it.

After 15 minutes of not have order or attention, my inner dictator made an appearance. Lo and behold, I got attention. I still don’t know about the respect part, but the hell with that if I actually can get through the lesson plan. So much for idealism!

I can see why some animals eat their young…

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting topic. i think you could use some other opinions besides his as far as dictatorship. i think kids will come to hate him if they don't already. here's my strategy. you have to win their hearts first, then they will do anything you want. but in order to win their hearts, you have to mix in some good boundaries. so, hmmmm i'm thinking on this.....

7:18 AM  
Blogger Sarah Elaine said...

Hey, you're posting again! There was such a long wait since the previous post, I wondered what the hell happened to you (locked out of the car again, maybe?! Hee hee!)

Anyway,I don't have much advice to offer, as all my students are 18 or above. Do keep us posted though...

Maybe you inner dictator and my inner figure skater should get together and break bread soon. It has been a while...

8:00 AM  
Blogger Turtle Guy said...

Do you want them to fear you or respect you? Two different things.

If they FEAR you, you may be able to control them and perhaps get them to do WHAT it is you want them to do.

If they RESPECT you, the things you can accomplish collectively are endless. You also stand a good chance of building friendships and THAT will only strengthen your bonds - so everyone wins.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Rob Griffin said...

Doug,

I really enjoyed your presentation last evening at the Flash User's Group. I am a colleague of Michelle Yaiser, who coerced me into staying and I am very glad I did. I just finished reading the Morville book "Ambient Findability" and had seen the headline Newsmap in the book and so your presentation was very meaningful to me. I am looking forward to you publishing your notes.

Bob

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home